How to request building access

Key and Card Access Process:

  1. Have your Ucard ready to enter the card numbers.
    • 7 digit emplID number (student/staff)
    • 10 digit Ucard number
    • 7 digit IClass number after the astriks*
  2. Please click on the form to request building access.
  3. Approval for building access must go through an approval process and some rooms may require safety training before you obtain access. You will be emailed if you need additional training or if we have questions. Once the approval is recieved, then the request will be sent to the UMN Central Access Services department.
    This process may take up to three days.
  4. You will receive an email from UMN Service Now when your card access is submitted and complete. If you need a key to access your space you will receive a separate email informing you of the location for pick up.

Who can request keys or card access?

  • Faculty and Private Investigators who have assigned space in the School of Physics and Astronomy building's
  • Researchers, Staff and Students - (The request will need approval by the owner of the space)

Process time
Key and card access requests are processed by Tina Garofolo which may take 1 to 3 buisness days to process. If you have not received an email after three days feel free to email spahel[email protected]

Pick-up locations
When keys are ready, you will receive email notification from [email protected] notifiying you the location of your key pick up.

LOST or STOLEN Keys or Ucard


  • Immediately report lost or stolen keys to [email protected]
  • ALL lost UMN keys must be reported to the police and Central Security as well as to School of Physics and Astronomy.


  • Immediately report lost or stolen ucards to the ucard offices on campus and [email protected]
  • Coffman Memorial Union: 612-626-9900 300 Washington Avenue SE, Minnepolis, MN 55455

Return keys or temporary white cards

Please return keys to the following people:

Tina Garofolo, Tate 130-06
Ginny Olson, Tate 130-09